Digital Transformation Strategies: 50 Resources for CIOs
Digital transformation. Digital disruption. The digital age. Digital experts. New digital skill sets. The jargon, the urgency, and the questions facing CIOs as digital technologies change society, business, and life as we know it can be daunting and overwhelming even for the best of them. CIOs are tasked with being more agile, innovative, connected, creative, and efficient while everything moves at warp speed toward a hyper-connected world.
Yet, digital business transformation is occurring and must occur in order for CIOs and their organizations to remain in the game. It is only with technology and true transformation that businesses will be able to deliver the customer experience and innovation that consumers have come not only to expect but to demand. As such, CIOs need to have intelligent strategies lined up so that they can lead their organizations into the 21st century and survive the digital disruption.
We have found some of the best resources for CIOs who want to learn more about digital transformation strategies from industry leaders and experts. The 50 articles, white papers, reports, slideshows, and other resources we have rounded up include case studies, first-person accounts, and other strategic thinking from some of the top digital authorities and tech pros. Please note that, while our top 50 resources for CIOs are listed here in no particular order, we have included a Table of Contents to make it easier for you to jump to the information that is of most interest to you.
CIO.com offers the latest news, analysis, video, blogs, tips, and research for IT professionals, CIOs, and other techies. Thor Olavsrud, senior CIO.com writer, explains that companies struggle to make digital a competitive advantage an explains that leadership helps stakeholders get on board with a clear digital transformation vision.
Three key tips we like from How to Succeed at Digital Transformation:
- “Companies need to ask themselves how long customers will accept experiences that are just ‘good enough'” ~ Jay Dettling, Accenture Interactive managing director and North America digital commerce lead
- CIOs are in the best position to lead digital transformation because it involves lining up technology, business strategy, operational processes, and metrics
- To ensure business alignment, the digital strategy tactics must support the business strategy
CIO Insight delivers business and technology insights that are provided by, for, and about senior information technology executives. In this digital transformation article for CIOs, guest author D. P. Morrisey details the benefits that arise when IT becomes a business partner and CIOs take the lead in making it happen.
Three key tips we like from How CIOs Shape a Digital Transformation Strategy:
- CIOs who make use of cloud-based services and applications create significant competitive advantages
- CIOs should develop business analysts and process experts who can deliver the information needed to make the best digital transformation decisions, but they also need to synthesize knowledge from several sources
- CIOs should break out of their traditional role of mainly handling the IT infrastructure and operations
Integra is a large facilities-based provider of communication and networking services in the western United States. Their article, A CIO’s Role in Digital Transformation, makes it clear that transformation is a must for enterprises experiencing digital disruption.
Three key tips we like from A CIO’s Role in Digital Transformation:
- CIOs are in a position to take a new leadership role to drive change and remain important players in business by approaching digital transformation with innovation and creativity
- CIOs become competitive when they develop holistic, top-down enterprise digital transformation strategy that “takes advantage of synergies across the organization and avoids duplication of resources and efforts”
- CIOs must collaborate and gain buy-in across the organization
KPMG is a U.S. audit, tax, and advisory services firm that operates from 87 offices with more than 26,000 employees and partners throughout the country. In Enabling the Digital Enterprise: A CIO Checklist for Digital Transformation, KPMG explores the digital disruption and the challenges it poses to CIOs. Readers have the option of requesting the article as a PDF or viewing it via SlideShare.
Three key tips we like from Enabling the Digital Enterprise: A CIO Checklist for Digital Transformation:
- CIOs need to decide if they want to take on a leadership role to harness digital disruption or manage an “increasingly marginalized IT, managing a shrinking portfolio of legacy systems”
- Define a governance framework that limits risk and sparks innovation
- Adopt a new operating model that lends itself to speed and agility
SearchCIO.com, TechTarget’s technology strategy resource for CIOs and IT executives, covers enterprise business software, disaster recovery, risk management, and more. In For CIOs Invested in Digital Transformation, Think Platform, senior news writer Nicole Laskowski shares a Q&A with MIT’s Center for Information Systems Research director and principal research scientist Jeanne Ross.
Three key tips we like from For CIOs Invested in Digital Transformation, Think Platform:
- Treat data as an asset
- Build a platform so that data can be used as an asset
- CIOS must choose to change, or face an enormous risk
Digitalis Magazine shares the under-the-radar trends, technologies, and disruptors that can simplify digital transformation. In this article, writer Carsten Linz explains that CIOs are poised to drive business innovation thanks to new technologies.
Three key tips we like from How CIOs Can Pave the Way for Digital Transformation:
- CIOs with the right leadership skills are ready to claim the opportunity to make IT departments strategic drivers of company success
- Some traditional CIO role requirements will remain relevant during the digital transformation including technology advisor, IT service provider, business partner, and security chief
- CIOs also need to be visionaries, data alchemists, entrepreneurs, and digital transformers to lead and change
Computer Weekly is a leading IT publication out of the UK. In Five CIO Tips for Building an IT Strategy in the Digital Age, Computer Weekly’s Mark Samuels explores expert advice on creating an IT strategy to make the most of the digital revolution.
Three key tips we like from Five CIO Tips for Building an IT Strategy in the Digital Age:
- CIOs should focus on engagement that matches the organization’s broad aims with digital capabilities, including those that involve the cloud, mobile, Big Data, and social media
- CIOs need to be prepared to handle the “unrealistic boardroom expectations about the likely effect of digital transformation”
- A CIO should use IT as a means for improving operations and boosting organizational value
Connected Futures Magazine offers executive insights and brings together experts, analysts, and thought leaders at the intersection of business, technology, and people. Stefanie McCann, Connected Futures editor, sat down with Accenture CIO Andrew Wilson to get his take on how CIOs can succeed with digital strategy.
Three key tips we like from Andrew Wilson, CIO, Accenture, Gives Seven Tips on How to Succeed with a Digital Strategy:
- One of the biggest challenges companies face with transformation is the unprecedented pace they need to move at in order to become digital
- CIOs must adopt new technologies as quickly as possible
- The digital strategy must span the entire organization
A technology magazine, CIOReview focuses on solutions that are redefining the business goals of future enterprise. In his CIOReview article, NIIT Technologies Inc. president Lalit Dhingra explores the steps CIOs and companies can take to capitalize on digital.
Three key tips we like from How to Build Momentum with a Digital Transformation Strategy:
- Organizations cannot ignore digital transformation, as Gartner predicts that at least 75% of businesses either will be a digital business or will be preparing to become one by 2020
- CIOs need to prioritize identifying the tools and technologies that will best facilitate their digital transformation, such as mobile technologies for customer engagement, data mining and analysis, cloud computing, socially-enabled business processes, connected experience, and artificial intelligence
- Focus on the digital journey and include culture change, customer focus, and data analytics
Digital Doughnut is a global network of digital leaders sharing insights by digital marketers for digital marketers. In his Digital Doughnut article, CloudMania independent analyst Radu Crahmaliuc offers his six reasons that CIOs are the leaders who should be at the helm of digital transformation.
Three key tips we like from Six Reasons for Why CIOs Should be Conductors of Digital Transformation Symphony:
- CIOs must be prepared to embrace a more expansive view of their roles and directly participate in increasing the company’s revenue, improving customer experience, and shaping digital strategy
- A CIO’s new major role is in leading the transformation process coordination
- CIOs who establish the vision and strategy must have strong technology knowledge and a clear understanding of transformational processes
MuleSoft is revolutionizing the way in which the world connects data and applications. In their article for CIOs, Creating a Digital Transformation Roadmap, MuleSoft offers information about how businesses are creating digital transformation strategies from a survey of 300 IT executives.
Three key tips we like from Creating a Digital Transformation Roadmap:
- CIOs should consider investing in an API strategy
- CIOs must be prepared to deliver IT services across the organization, which means viewing IT as a strategic partner for the business
- CIOs should view integration as their primary role and create capabilities, rather than projects
The Wall Street Journal presents CIO Journal and Deloitte Insights, which offer business and technology insights compiled by Deloitte. In APIs Help Drive Digital Transformation, the Deloitte team explains that CIOs can work toward an API strategy to promote business transformation and enable self-service IT while reusing and monetizing existing APIs.
Three key tips we like from APIs Help Drive Digital Transformation:
- CIOS can drive digital transformation initiatives, build more collaborative and self-service IT environments, and gain revenue from existing IT assets via APIs
- IT success involves implementing technology and determining how to scale it across the entire organization to speed projects for lines of business
- APIs help CIOs make IT more centralized to the business in order to support agility, innovation, and business outcomes
Raconteur is a premium publisher of current issues and special reports on business, finance, tech, and healthcare. The question at the center of this Raconteur article is whether the CDO or CIO is better equipped to lead digital transformation, and whether it matters which executive is in charge.
Three key tips we like from Digital Transformation: CDO or CIO – and Does It Matter Anymore?:
- The CDO trend is subsiding, as CIOs are taking more strategic, business-enabling roles and reporting directly to CEOs
- Creative CIOs are smart to focus on enabling business value by harnessing social and technical disruption and to become transformational business leaders, technology strategists, and business-model innovators
- CIOs achieving successful digital transformation break free of their traditional finance and operation roles and use their own IT teams and services to ensure digital strategy and innovation
The Financial Brand offers ideas, insights, and inspiration for financial marketing executives. They also remind us that CIOs in every industry are facing challenges with digital transformation strategy. The Transformation of the Digital Banking CIO makes it clear that the role of the CIO is critical to the banking industry because banks now are providing more digital functionality than ever before.
Three key tips we like from The Transformation of the Digital Banking CIO:
- As part of their digital transformation, banks and other financial institutions are expanding the role of CIO to improve the customer experience across the entire customer journey
- Digital strategy must include changing organizational culture to embrace digital transformation and getting a commitment from the board and CEO
- Successful CIOs are collaborating with MOs to improve multichannel experiences, product development, needs identification, and personalization
i-SCOOP offers publications, educational resources, training, and consulting for integrated marketing, digital business, transformation, organizational processes, and more. In this article, they focus on recent research that looked into digital transformation and CIOs’ views on it.
Three key tips we like from CIO Views on Digital Transformation: Meet the Digital CIO:
- Successful CIOs embrace digital transformation so they can reinvent the processes and systems of their organizations with business goals in mind
- CIOs need to realize they are integral to digital transformation: 72% of senior IT decisions makers now believe this is true, as opposed to only 59% in 2014
- CIOs must be innovative and creative to live up to boardroom expectations for CIOs and digital transformation
At the intersection of technology and business, ZDNet reports that CIOs have the opportunity for digital transformation innovation but face many challenges. This ZDNet article by Michael Krigsman shares the survey results from 3,352 CIOs and IT leaders concerning the CIO’s role and perspectives in connection with digital transformation.
Three key tips we like from Research: Digital Creates CIO Innovation Opportunities but Challenges Remain:
- CIOs need to resolve the conflicting demands facing both IT and themselves
- Top CIO priorities must include increasing operational efficiencies, improving business processes, and delivering consistent and stable IT performance to the business
- CIOs must make operational stability the foundation for innovation and growth
IT @ Spectrum offers innovative solutions to print more efficiently and automate business processes. In this article, which contains an excerpt from Canon Business Bytes, IT @ Spectrum explores one of the major questions facing CIOs: to implement digital transformation in one fell swoop or to implement step-by-step digital strategy.
Three key tips we like from the CIO Dilemma: Digital Transformation – Big Bang Change or Incremental Improvement?:
- CIOs should consider long-term ideals when considering a digital transformation strategy
- CIOs need to make use of their view of the organization’s operations in order to lead digital transformation that includes multiple touchpoints with business partners and customers
- CIOs must get buy-in from all stakeholders and promote the business benefits of digital transformation in order to ensure a supportive company culture
Dell examines today’s business macro trends and discovers how IT is changing, via research with the Economist Intelligence Unit and the Harvard Business Review. Their InnovateBusinessIT.com is a community that engages senior IT leaders and others who want to gain a deeper understanding of the trends that impact business and IT environments.
Three key tips we like from Driving Business Through Digital Transformation:
- CIOs have been the bridge between business and technology and are in the best position to determine “what, where, and how new technology can accelerate management innovation and should therefore lead the enterprise in this pursuit”
- CIOs now have the opportunity to drive revenue as part of their new role in digital transformation
- CIOs must align themselves to the C-suite in order to facilitate growth and translate how coupling emerging technologies with business goals can deliver new revenue streams for their organizations
CIO.com’s Jennifer O’Brien highlights the unique challenges faced by public sector CIOs in Public Sector CIOs Feel the ‘Squeeze’ When Driving Transformational Change: Gartner. O’Brien points to Gartner’s findings that government CIOs are under more pressure to optimize IT and business costs while leading digital transformation in the public sector to emphasize the point that government CIOs increase risk and cost when they take too long to adopt technology innovations.
Three key tips we like from Public Sector CIOs Feel the ‘Squeeze’ When Driving Transformational Change: Gartner:
- Public sectors CIO need a digital strategy that will combat organizational and cultural challenges that limit the potential of social, mobile, data analytics, cloud, and the Internet of Things (IoT) to spur transformational change
- Government CIOs should adopt the same technology innovations that transform private sector service industries in order to decrease risk and cost and be in a better position to achieve their organizations’ missions
- Government CIOs should incorporate digital workplace, multichannel citizen engagement, smart machines, digital government platforms, and risk-based security, among other strategic technologies
EnterpriseAppsTech delivers informative, up-to-date news on bring your own device (BYOD), enterprise mobility management (EMM), and mobility for CIOs, CTOs, and business IT professionals. David H. Deans’ article, How Digital Transformation Creates a ‘Fundamental Shift’ in CIO Role, explains that CIOs must envision themselves in a digital transformation leadership role in order for them to have a successful digital strategy.
Three key tips we like from How Digital Transformation Creates a ‘Fundamental Shift’ in CIO Role:
- In some cases, CIOs must overcome operational requirements in order to reach the expectations of their business-oriented peers
- CIOs must change their focus and prioritize transformation and innovation and then incorporate innovations into their stable infrastructures
- CIOs must be actively engaged in each stage of business digital transformation
VMware CIO Exchange offers leadership strategies that are best suited to executives who are interested in accelerating IT transformation. Joe Baguley’s VMware CIO Exchange article, CIOs: Gatekeepers to a Digital Enterprise?, links to more information for CIOs who need to unlock employees’ digital skills and an executive summary and explores the opportunities CIOs have to drive digital innovations in their own organizations.
Three key tips we like from CIOs: Gatekeepers to a Digital Enterprise?:
- CIOs should work to build a balanced team with technical and collaborative skills
- IT and senior management must work together to create a culture that accepts and encourages digital transformation
- Encourage cross-departmental knowledge sharing and help employees devise new ideas and allow them to make mistakes as the process unfolds
Clint Boulton, CIO.com senior writer, shares insight into digital transformation and the CIO’s role in his article, CIOs Who Master Digital Transformations Will Win CEO Jobs. Boulton features insights from Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff in the article as well.
Three key tips we like from CIOs Who Master Digital Transformations Will Win CEO Jobs:
- “We’re in a new world where the CIO is redefining their role and the partnership that they have with the CEO today has, I think, never happened before in our industry.” ~ Marc Benioff
- CIOs must become a partner for enablement and capability so that organizations do not fall behind for failing to innovate
- Growth will come about because of the delivery of next-generation services driven by CIOs; successful CIOs will become CEOs because of digital transformation
This i-SCOOP article explores another partnership that CIOs should establish as part of their digital transformation strategy. CMOs and CIOs will need to share social and digital tools to satisfy customers and employees’ expectations and drive revenue through digital marketing.
Three key tips we like from Digital Transformation and the CMO: An Innovative CIO Partnership:
- CIOs will need to work to make the skill sets for technology, data, and digital technologies part of the corporate culture
- CIOs will need to play a role in watching over the customer experience
- CIOs who partner with CMOs play a greater role in business and customer goals
Gartner conducts the world’s largest CIO survey annually in order to track how senior IT leaders balance “their strategic business, technical, and management priorities.” The Gartner CIO Agenda Report presents the findings, case studies, expert analysis, and insight so CIOs can compare their own priorities and actions with those of their global peers. The 2016 report reveals that digitalization is picking up speed, and CIOs who want to succeed must reconsider their approach to each aspect of their organization’s platform.
Three key tips we like from Building the Digital Platform: Insights from the 2016 Gartner CIO Agenda Report:
- CIOs no longer can focus simply on the technical layer of their business’s platform
- CIOs should team with CEOs to become digital leaders
- CIOs must adopt innovative approaches and recognize new digital opportunities and evolving threats
EY.com is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction, and advisory services. Their white paper, Born to be Digital: How Leading CIOs are Preparing for a Digital Transformation, includes the results of a study of more than 180 CIOs, CTOs, and other IT leaders who shared their insights and personal experiences in digital strategy.
Three key tips we like from Born to be Digital: How Leading CIOs are Preparing for a Digital Transformation:
- Proactive CIOs are better suited to transform their businesses and their careers within IT-intensive sectors
- CIOs who lead digital transformation have a strategic vision of how technology will transform their organization and ensure their vision is understood
- CIOs with successful digital transformation strategies have a clearer focus on supporting growth
Capgemini Consulting handles transformation consultations for today’s digital world. Their white paper, Digital Transformation: A Roadmap for Billion-Dollar Organizations, shares findings from an initial phase of a study conducted by the MIT Center for Digital Business in conjunction with Capgemini.
Three key tips we like from Digital Transformation: A Roadmap for Billion-Dollar Organizations:
- CIOs with successful digital transformation strategy transform their organizations to take advantage of the possibilities afforded by new technologies
- Digital strategy should include re-envisioning customer experience, operational processes, and business models
- CIOs must be prepared to drive successful digital transformation from the top down, rather than from the bottom up
KPMG drives conversations on emerging business issues and opportunities. Their digital transformation white paper, Digital Business: It’s Time for CIOs to Lead or Get Out of the Way, explains that CIOs must take advantage of the opportunity to lead digital change or they will risk “creating more digital silos, adding to technical debt, and missing opportunities for leverage across the entire enterprise.”
Three key tips we like from Digital Business: It’s Time for CIOs to Lead or Get Out of the Way:
- CIOs must create digital strategy to put customers at the center of business decisions and drive growth
- CIOs must drive the approach to digital with a cross-enterprise perspective into core business processes and capabilities
- A CIO’s digital transformation strategy must clearly state how to support the organization and enable it to achieve its strategic goals
Forrester works with business and technology leaders to develop customer-obsessed strategies that drive growth. Their CIO Digital Business Transformation Playbook for 2016 explains the value of embracing digital thinking to meet and exceed customers’ expectations and details the steps CIOs must take in order to make that happen.
Three key tips we like from The CIO Digital Business Transformation Playbook for 2016:
- CIOs must work with business executives to lead a business technology agenda and transform how their organizations design, develop, and deliver digital business innovation
- CIOs must work to integrate their products and services into customers’ digital worlds in order to become part of their personal value ecosystem
- CIOs must set their priorities and focus on a mix of skills to drive digital transformation
Cost: FREE with email registration
CIONET is a leading community of ambitious CIOs and IT directors in Europe, and Cegeka helps companies survive and thrive in a digital world via advanced IT solutions, strategic thinking, and a hands-on approach. Their 2015 Digital Leadership Report, Transforming Digital into Value, includes the findings of an annual IT trend survey that includes the responses of 2,500 companies around the globe.
Three key tips we like from Transforming Digital into Value:
- Be as innovative and creative as possible in your digital strategy
- Consider partnering with your CMO to create and invest in business innovation
- Foster a company culture that supports digital by organizing education programs for people to learn the business or the IT that goes into your company
Salesforce chief digital evangelist and blogger for the Huffington Post, Vala Afshar shares key insight into digital transformation strategy from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) CIO Mark Schwartz in this multimedia resource that includes an embedded video. Schwartz is an award-winning CIO known for using innovative solutions to bring about better outcomes.
Three key tips we like from USCIS CIO: Design a User-Centric Digital Transformation Strategy:
- CIOs must make your interactions with customers more user friendly and customer friendly via an end-to-end digital process
- CIOs should determine which experiments are valuable to the organization and which learning processes will solve problems
- CIOs and their teams should be as creative and innovative as possible
VMware’s CIO Exchange is a top digital transformation strategy resource for CIOs. Specifically, How They Do It: Digital Transformation offers a wealth of articles detailing case studies and specific examples of digital strategy for CIOs.
Three key resources we like from How They Do It: Digital Transformation:
- AstraZeneca CIO: Using IT to Decrease the Cost of Drug Failure
- VP Atos Digital: What are the Building Blocks of Digital Transformation?
- E.ON CIO on the Smart Grid: Failure is Not an Option!
The Enterprises Project is a community of CIOs discussing the future of business and IT and offering insights, news, and commentary on how CIOs and IT leaders can drive business value in an increasingly digital world. Their infographic, 7 Strategies CIOs are Using to Drive Digital Transformation, visualizes digital strategies CIOs can utilize, according to research conducted by Harvard Business Review Analytic Services.
Three key tips we like from 7 Strategies CIOs are Using to Drive Digital Transformation:
- CIOs are key to digital success, as long as they have strong leadership skills and a passion for everything digital
- CIOs should build trust by having close working relationships with other company leaders and feeling comfortable with sharing control
- CIOs should prioritize digital learning and empower line of business leaders in digital knowledge
Oracle is a leader in digital, as they offer integrated cloud applications and platform services. Their infographic, The Leadership Edge in Digital Transformation, explores the top reasons that CIOs should lead digital transformation, according to a Harvard Business Review Analytics Service report.
Three key facts we like from The Leadership Edge in Digital Transformation:
- 41% of respondents see the CIO as being best suited to lead digital transformation, as compared to 20% who chose the CEO
- 57% of respondents cite innovative thinking as the CIO trait that adds the most value to their business; knowledge of emerging technologies was second, at 50%
- 90% of respondents believe that collaboration and communication between IT and various stakeholders is critical to digital transformation for business advantage
The ironSAGE Group works to find innovative solutions to challenging issues in healthcare, mobile technology, data integration, and linked open data. Their infographic, CIO’s Role in Digital Transformation, visualizes the ways in which CIOs can lead digital change in the organization.
Three key tips we like from CIO’s Role in Digital Transformation:
- CIOs must be prepared for the CEO’s expectation that they become revenue contributors and generators and drive collaboration within the organization
- CIOs must focus on strategic, tactical, and operational ideas and actions
- The CEO’s goals and business drivers must along to the digital strategy
ETCIO.com, an initiative of The Economic Times, shares information from the MIT Sloan Management Review and Deloitte digital business study in this digital transformation infographic. Strategy, Not Technology, Drives Digital Transformation showcases the importance of digital strategy.
Three key tips we like from Strategy, Not Technology, Drives Digital Transformation:
- Digitally-transformed businesses are improving processes, engaging talent across the organization, and driving new business models
- CIOs need to be prepared for the majority of the employees wanting digital transformation but being dissatisfied with their current reaction to digital trends
- Digital transformation is possible with the appropriate strategy, culture, and leadership at the hands of the CIO
Salesforce helps organizations connect with customers in an entirely new way. Their Top Trends According to Today’s CIOs and IT Leaders infographic visualizes the ways in which digital is impacting communication, work, and buying decisions.
Three key facts we like from Top Trends According to Today’s CIOs and IT Leaders:
- Digital leaders are launching apps in the next 12-18 months that were created with a mobile-first mindset
- CIOs must help their employees keep skills current with emerging tech and trends
- Companies are winning digital by developing apps for customers, partners, and employees to use
AppDynamics is a platform that gives software-defined businesses the ability to analyze and optimize digital business performance in real time. Their Innovation Catalyst: A Changing Mandate for the CIO is a digital transformation infographic that explores the shifts CIOs must make or be left behind by digital.
Three key tips we like from Innovation Catalyst: A Changing Mandate for the CIO:
- CIOs can capitalize on innovation
- CIOs should provide a digital-ready innovation platform for the business to leverage
- The main focus of the CIO should be to make it easier for their organization to leverage new technologies to drive innovation
CIO.com’s Digital Transformation Will Shape 2016 is a slideshow by their own Sarah K. White. By combining an article with a slideshow, White shares findings from a recent IDC report that predicts business’ main focus will be digital transformation.
Three key tips we like from Digital Transformation Will Shape 2016:
- CIOs must play a central role in leading each department through digital transformation
- CIOs must help their organizations become agile and flexible
- CIOs should have a plan in place that centers on using information to drive the business against its competition
In this CIO Insight slideshow, Dennis McCafferty explores how and why CIOs should be at the center of digital transformation. McCafferty utilizes findings from a recent Cognizant survey that focuses on how CIOs are preparing themselves for the digital age.
Three key tips we like from How CIOs Can Lead a Digital Transformation:
- CIOs should gain hands-on experience in leading digital programs and initiatives in order to become a digital CIO
- CIOs must share and support a clearly defined digital strategy
- CIOs must fully understand the business benefits of various digital programs
The Harvard Business Review is a leading resource for smart management thinking. Sponsored by Red Hat, their Driving Digital Transformation: New Skills for Leaders, New Role for the CIO explores what it will take for CIOs to lead digital transformation, including altered skills and a new view of their role.
Three key tips we like from Driving Digital Transformation: New Skills for Leaders, New Role for the CIO:
- It takes a strong leader to make a successful digital transformation
- CIOs must become evangelists, leaders, and digital coaches in order for their organization to achieve digital transformation
- Digital CIOs build trust and share control
Founder of CxOTalk.com, Michael Krigsman is an analyst and keynote speaker. In this slideshow, Krigsman explores how CIOs can remain relevant during digital transformation.
Three key tips we like from CIO Relevance in the Digital Era:
- CIOs must relieve some of the tension between business leaders and IT
- Digital strategy should aim to increase customer satisfaction, focus on agility and responsiveness, and include operational goals
- The CIO’s real opportunity is in using digital to address business imperatives, in order to foster collaboration in the organization
Dimension Data makes use of the power of technology to help organizations achieve great things in the digital era. Their slideshow, Courage is Currency for the Digital CIO, explores the need for CIOs and organizations to become agile.
Three key tips we like from Courage is Currency for the Digital CIO:
- Courageous CIOs are better positioned to bridge the digital divide
- CIOs must live up to the challenge of exploiting IT to give the business a competitive edge in the digital era
- CIOs needs to break out of their traditional role and foster a culture of innovation within their organization
In this video for CxOTalk, Adjuvi chief strategy officer Dion Hinchcliffe explains his position that CIOs should lead digital transformation and even goes so far as to say they are a better digital choice than a CDO. As Hinchcliffe points out, CIOs must undergo personal and professional change in order to do so.
Three key tips we like from Can a CIO Lead Digital Transformation?:
- The most effective CIOs focus on enablement more than constraint
- CIOs have real leadership abilities and can look for and find the organization’s opportunities for digital
- CIOs who are innovative and yield some control are the most successful in digital transformation
The Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania is the world’s first collegiate business school. As part of their [email protected] series, they share insights from JPMorgan Chase CIO Dana Deasy on digital transformation, especially in terms of financial institutions.
Three key tips we like from JPMC CIO on Digital Transformation:
- CIOs have already been through digital transformation with the advent of the internet and other advances in technology, they are ready to lead today’s digital transformation
- Digital for financial services involves the customer experience, digital payments, digital marketing, and social media
- CIOs must have patience, perseverance, performance, and passion in order to be great leaders, even in the digital revolution
Dimension Data CIO Derek Wilcocks explains that the race to digital business is on, in this video available on YouTube. Wilcocks explains that CIOs are under pressure to adopt new IT service models and digital technologies.
Three key tips we like from Digital Transformation on the CIO’s Agenda:
- CIOs need to focus on being efficient, speedy, and agile in their core business operations
- CIOs must adopt digital as a cultural change for the business and the IT organization itself
- CIOs must translate high-level strategy into business processes for the organization and become an architect of business strategy
Sven Denecken, GVP of cloud solutions and SAP SE, explores digital transformation and the ways in which it impacts business in this YouTube video. Denecken also discusses the role of the CIO and Line of Business (LoB) leaders in preparing for a more digitized world.
Three key tips we like from Digital Transformation: What It Means for the CIO & LoB Leaders:
- CIOs must identify the opportunities made possible by digital and take advantage of them
- CIOs must get out of a survival mindset and into a revenue contribution mindset
- CIOs need to consider the digital layer, the social layer, and the devices layer (including wearables)
I-CIO publishes thought leadership, management best practice, CXO debate, and more for CIOs and other IT leaders. Their video features Jeroen Tas, former CIO of Philips and current CEO of Philips Healthcare Informatics Solutions and Services, who argues that CIOs should take the lead in reinventing business through digital.
Three key tips we like from Jeroen Tas: The CIO’s Opportunity to Lead Digital Transformation:
- CIOs must be prepared to adapt to the real needs of the markets
- CIOs must consider the ways in which consumers and partners connect to their organizations, from mobile devices to wearables
- CIOs need to make use of data and adjust their organization to deal with the digital component of it
In this CxOTalk video, hosts Michael Krigsman and Vala Afshar present a conversation on leadership, innovation, and digital transformation with CIOs who are leading the change. Included in the discussion are IDC chief research officer Crawford Del Prete, UBS AG group CIO Oliver Busman, and IBM global CIO Jeannette Horan.
Three key tips we like from CIOs and Digital Business Transformation:
- CIOs must be able to first identify and then explain to stakeholders whether digital transformation is possible, given the current state of the company
- CIOs need to partner with the other leaders to make digital change occur given the infrastructure of the company
- CIOs must understand that digital transformation is a joint venture between business and IT
In this MuleSoft video available on YouTube, NewsCorp CIO Tom Quinn, Sagicor CIO Ronald Blitstein, Deloitte principal Martin Stansbury, and Constellation Research founder Ray Wang discuss how digital is changing their industries. The trend is that digital transformation enables companies to be more agile, yet controlled.
Three key tips we like from MuleSoft CONNECT 2015 – CIO Panel, “Digital Transformation to Achieve Speed and Control”:
- CIOs must understand that digital disruption can spell the end for an organization that does not harness digital and then become a disruptor itself
- CIOs must design a digital strategy unique to their organization’s goals and objectives because each industry has its own digital challenges and opportunities
- CIOs need to be as innovative as possible to tackle disruption head-on
Silicon Valley’s premier business and technology forum, Churchill Club is on a mission to encourage innovation, economic growth, and societal benefit. In this YouTube video, Salesforce CMO and EVP Lynn Vojvodich moderates a discussion on digital transformation and the CIO’s role with Symantec CIO Shelia Jordan, former Adobe CIO and current Starbucks CTO Gerri Martin-Flickinger, and Informatics SVP & CIO Ginna Raahauge.
Three key tips we like from CIO Outlook 2016: Focus on Digital Transformation:
- CIOs must manage and capitalize on data to meet user and business leader expectations, especially in terms of mobile, data analytics, cloud and the Internet of Things
- CIOs’ digital strategies should maximize data assets across the organization
- CIOs must make collaboration a goal, in order to first build and then implement a digital strategy that includes business and IT
Further Reading from the Docurated Blog:
- What is Agile Marketing?
- B2B Marketing Automation Tips
- 10 Components of a Marketing Plan
- Top Marketing Automation Tools
- Measure Return on Marketing Investment
- Strategic Marketing Plan Resources
- Account Based Marketing Resources
- Consultative Selling Tips
- Sales Pipeline Management Tools
- Business Analytics Software
- Digital Marketing Trends